When a toddler accidentally smashes a ‘jelly’ ikeas comforter
When a small boy was cleaning his own room with a rubber ball, he inadvertently dropped a jelly-like object.
The boy, aged between eight and 12, fell on it while cleaning a room in the house.
He suffered a concussion, a broken jaw and facial swelling but his condition was later deemed stable.
“I saw him on the floor, lying on his side, the ball still sticking out of him,” his mother told local media.
After seeing the footage of the incident on Facebook, the toddler’s father, Dr Hyeon Suk, started a fundraising campaign to raise money for the boy’s medical treatment.
More than 5,000 people have pledged to the fund, which has raised more than $25,000, with the aim of paying for the treatment for the family.
Dr Suk, who has also organised a special Christmas party for the toddler, said the toddler had been “very brave” in not being injured and the family was hoping for a “long recovery”.
“He has suffered so much pain,” Dr Suk told ABC Radio Melbourne.
Read more: “When he fell, I was just horrified.
It was the worst thing that could have happened to him.”
Dr Hyeong-soo, who also works in child care, said it was a very sad story.
“(The) whole family has suffered a lot and they’ve been in pain for a long time, I guess it was an accident,” he said.
Ikea comfans are a specialised type of comforting which are designed to keep the child snug in a room by wrapping around the neck.
They can be purchased in a range of sizes from $12 to $100 each.
In this case, a jelly was dropped onto the boy, causing swelling in his face, but the swelling was later considered stable.
“He didn’t know it was there, it was just an accident.
It’s like a bad dream,” Dr Hae said.”
This child, he’s really young and he’s not really aware of what he’s doing.”
IKEA comforts are made of rubber, and can be wrapped around the child’s neck in order to keep him comfortable.
Topics:children,accidents,halloween-events,home-events-and-festivals,sports,sports-organisations,child-health,diseases-and/or-disorders,accident,melbourne-3000,vic,australiaMore stories from Victoria